Thursday, May 13, 2010

Rubber Mats and Play-Doh

Finally the weather out east is starting to break.  This week, along with my foul mood, the weather was dreary and chilly and left me wanting to stay in bed all day.  Topped with my cutting back on caffeine, an AF that was trying to win some sort of contest and Mother's day...well let's just say it was a rough week around these parts. 

But now that I see sun again, I find myself wanting to run more.  Running for me is a must in my life, and it's painfully obvious when I haven't run in awhile.  I feel lethargic, fat, lazy, unaccomplished.  That may sound harsh and is probably a little harsh, but after a run, even a short run my whole outlook changes, instantly!  I only run about 3 times a week, but when that is taken away from I feel that my outlet is gone. 

I always find it funny when people say that "it's so great that you run," as if I have any sort of choice in the matter.  When you are a runner, you just find yourself lacing up your sneakers to hit the pavement.  But what people don't realize is how LUCKY I am to find myself out there.  I'm a kid again, playing outside, looking for my next adventure.  The other day I ran down a winding, shaded hill, feeling free and fast.  I passed a house and could smell the hose running water.  Why does water from a hose in the summertime always smell different?  I kept running and passed another house that smelled like daycamp from when I was 10 years old.  It smelled of rubber mats and play-doh.  On my way back home, I ran past a park getting freshly mowed and could smell the fresh grass, and see specs of it swirling around the lawn mower. 

So to me, I'm the lucky one.  Today, I will hit the streets again, and let the sun shine on my face, feel the sweat on my back and say a little prayer back up the hill that I generally swear at.  When I come home I will feel that sense of accomplishment and look forward to the next time I can feel like a kid again.  If you don't run, perhaps give it a try today, all you need is a pair of sneakers.

**Update tomorrow on book club.  I've chosen the first book, nothing too long or tough to read!**

No comments:

Post a Comment